Saturday, March 27, 2010

You'd Break Your Neck To Keep Your Chin Up

I distinctly remember the first time I heard and saw Copeland.  The Starting Line was scheduled to play Ventura Theatre back in March of 2006 on the 'Screaming Is For Babies Tour.'  Joined with Gatsby's American Dream and Cartel, Copeland was the only band on the package tour that I hadn't heard of.  To my surprise, I found their album 'In Motion' for $3.99 at my work (which by the way had the most scarce selection of cd's ever seen.)  I popped it into the cd player of my '89 Mercedes and drove home from work slower than normal that night.  Needless to say, I was instantly hooked.  I had just gotten out of my first and only serious relationship, my routine was no more, and I felt completely lost as to where my life was going to go.  Thankfully my sister was visiting at the time.  If I close my eyes, it brings me back to driving up the 101 with her while repeatedly listening to track one of 'In Motion', No One Really Wins.  It's over four years later, and I still think of and miss her every time I hear the same song.  'In Motion' will forever be tied to that time in my life.  I will always be amazed at how nostalgic music can be.



On October 29, 2009 Copeland posted the following statement online:
Dear friends,

We have come to an extremely difficult decision. It has come time for us to move on from Copeland and follow other paths in our lives. We are absolutely grateful to have been able to make music for as long as we have. In the last 9 years we've been able to see parts of the world that we never dreamt we would see. We have shared the stage and built friendships with immensely talented artists. We've been afforded the opportunity to make 4 records that we're extremely proud of. Most of all, we feel honored that people have cared so much for our band and for our art. We appreciate every listener who has allowed our music to be a part of their lives. We want to offer our deepest thanks to every individual who has supported us on this ride. It has profoundly impacted our lives.

To put your minds at ease, we assure you this is not a bitter break up. We all individually feel Copeland has run its course in our lives and it’s time for us to pursue what is next. We couldn’t end things without a proper goodbye, so we are planning a final farewell tour in the US this coming Spring, as well as one final jaunt around the world to some of our favorite countries. We are really excited about seeing you all one more time, and we hope it turns out to be the best Copeland tour ever.

It has been discussed and we are not ruling out the possibility of recording one more album sometime in the future. However, this spring tour will be our last.

From the bottom of hearts, thank you for all of your love and support.

Aaron, Bryan, Jon & Stephen
As heartbreaking as reading the above news was for me, it was assuring to know I'd be able to see them one last time.  I'd seen them play multiple times between the first show I went to and the scheduled March 26th show.  The farewell show was no doubt, my absolute favorite time seeing them play.  It seemed as if I wasn't alone in holding this performance near and dear to my heart.  It was a very special and emotional set for me.  Reliving the moments of first listening to them, to realizing how much I've grown as a person since then.  Copeland's music has been there for it all.    




Asking for a better setlist for the evening was completely unnecessary. They did a great job at combining new and old songs to deliver the perfect goodbye.

  1. Take Care
  2. Careful Now
  3. I'm A Sucker For A Kind Word
  4. The Grey Man
  5. Chin Up
  6. Control Freak
  7. Coffee
  8. On The Safest Ledge
  9. The Day I Lost My Voice (The Suitcase Song)
  10. Eat, Sleep, Repeat
  11. Pin Your Wings
  12. No One Really Wins
  13. When Paula Sparks
  14. California
Encore:
   15.  Love Affair
   16.  You Have My Attention

I can only hope for a reunion someday.  I won't be holding my breath though.  It's safe to say they did such a good job with their farewells that I will still have satisfaction if a reunion never happens.  Until then, I'll keep 'California' as my ringtone and cherish the memories I have with their music, and continue to make more.











No comments:

Post a Comment